- Designed an extensible load balancer to gracefully ramp traffic to experimental database instances based on application performance and health. Uses PID control to react to changes in server metrics and adjust traffic proportions (possibly failing over unhealthy instances).
- Created a console to visualize cluster health metrics and automatically highlight potential issues using heuristics.
- Migrated several microservices to communicate using TLS.
Production Engineer, Security
January 2018 - May 2018
Menlo Park, California
- Developed a framework to perform automated canarying and deployment of services. Analyzes time series statistics of canary health to detect and prevent regression.
- Created a service to check for known vulnerable software packages installed on servers and perform automatic remediation.
- Implemented an internal search engine to store and query for vulnerabilities affecting public and internal software packages.
- Developed a tool to allow employees to report and triage vulnerabilties affecting production services.
Software Engineer, Infrastructure Stability
May 2017 - September 2017
San Francisco, California
- Customized NodeJS and the underlying V8 runtime, exploiting semantics of the operating system to improve session startup time by 300%.
- Optimized the build process for the application, reducing build times to be 1/15 their original value.
- Improved automated code deployment to become more robust modular and faster, cutting deployment time in half.
- Added and improved infrastructure health metrics to gain better insight into cluster health.
Software Engineer, Payments
September 2016 - December 2016
San Francisco, California
- Implemented payment processing pipelines responsible for disbursing hundreds of millions of dollars monthly.
- Utilized Apache Hive and Presto to perform audits on petabyte scale datasets.
- Designed and created several new features and APIs for the merchant platform.
- Created and optimized several MapReduce scripts to efficiently process billions of records.
January 2016 - May 2016
Mountain View, California
- Redesigned and implemented the custom markup rendering system used on the mobile application.
- Developed a new homepage for the Android application, building out custom widgets from scratch.
- Implemented background audio functionality for the Android application.
May 2015 - September 2015
- Created the XE Android Wear client.
- Maintained the XE iOS and Apple Watch applications through the addition of new features and bug fixes.
- Converted large sections of the XE iOS application over from Objective C to Swift.